Bee Awareness at Paper Pawtraits
To celebrate bees and help raise awareness of their current threat level, I have created this bee using my papercraft technique, layering coloured paper to create this 3D bee.
Bees are one of the most important creatures in our ecosystem, and without them, the world could not survive. As one of the world’s best pollinators, bees are essential for the survival of our ecosystem – with nearly 90% of the world’s wildflowers depending on animal pollination, alongside over 75% of the world’s food crops and 35% of the world’s agricultural land. However, as vital as they are for the world, they are under threat and there is a massive decline in numbers due to human activities.
There are things we can do to help keep bees alive and help improve their current threat level. Some of the things you can do in your garden and day to day life include:
- Planting a diverse range of native plants that flower at different times of the year, providing constant plants for the bees
- Avoid all pesticides, fungicides and herbicides in your garden to prevent harming the bees
- Make a bee water fountain by leaving a bowl of water in your garden
- Buy raw honey from local farmers to help keep their businesses thriving
- Buy products from sustainable sources where possible
Have you taken any steps to help keep our bees safe this summer? If so, I’d love to hear what you’ve been getting up to!